Many people don’t have time to go to the gym or simply can’t afford it. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t get in shape or tone up your body. With just some determination and a bit of research, you should be able to work out effectively at home without the help of a personal trainer.
With that in mind, we explore whether a gym membership is worth the money and what alternatives there are if you don’t have much cash to spare.
Why is a gym membership so expensive?
When you think about it, a gym membership is actually a pretty good deal. You get access to all the equipment you need to get a great workout, and you don’t have to go anywhere near it – you can just go online and book a time that suits you.
The problem is that gym memberships are expensive, especially if you want to go regularly. Gym memberships are often paid for in monthly installments. This means that if you go for the standard gym membership, which gives you access to one gym and your choice of two classes, it will set you back around $60 a month.
If you want to use extra facilities, like a swimming pool, sauna, or personal trainer, you will probably have to pay a bit extra. If you want to use a decent gym, you might have to pay even more.
The standard monthly membership is often just enough to give you access to low-quality equipment. If you want to work out at a good, well-equipped gym, you might have to fork out a lot of money each month.
Can you get fit without going to the gym?
You can definitely get fit without visiting a gym. As we have mentioned, some of the most effective exercises are simple everyday activities – like gardening, walking, and running. These exercises are great for toning your body, burning calories, and strengthening your muscles.
If you’re working on a set exercise program, you can get in great shape at home. Working out at home also comes with a whole host of other benefits too – you don’t have to worry about packing a change of clothes, you don’t have to pay for parking, and you don’t have to go through the hassle of driving to and from the gym.
Tips for working out at home
- Keep your workout routine fresh – If you’re going to be working out at home, you need to make sure that you keep your exercise routine fresh. To help you stay motivated, you might want to change your routine every few weeks – or even every few days. This will keep things interesting and stop you from getting bored with your workouts.
- Keep track of your progress – It’s also a good idea to keep track of your progress. You can do this by keeping a fitness diary and logging your weights and sets. This will help you stay motivated by seeing how far you’ve come since you started exercising.
- Find a workout buddy – If you want to stay motivated, find a workout buddy. This can be anyone – a family member, friend, or even a colleague. The important thing is that you have someone to work out with when you’re at home. Having a buddy will help you stay on track and push you to work out harder.
- Invest in good workout equipment – You don’t need a fancy gym to get a great workout. However, you will need some good workout equipment. Luckily, there are lots of great workout tools that you can buy for a reasonable price.
Alternatives to a gym membership
If you can’t afford to join a gym, you might need to find an alternative option. Luckily, there are lots of low-cost ways to stay fit without having to fork out lots of money. Some of the best ways to get fit without a gym membership include:
- Jogging – Jogging is an incredibly effective exercise. This low-impact exercise can be done anywhere and can help you to burn around 400 calories per hour – more than you would burn from many other typical workouts.
- Swimming – Swimming is another low-impact exercise that is great for your joints and muscles. This exercise burns about 450 calories per hour and can be done in a pool or in open water.
- Cycling – Cycling is another low-impact exercise that can be done indoors or outdoors. Cycling burns about 200 calories per hour and is great for your heart.
- Yoga – Yoga is a fantastic way to keep fit that helps to improve your flexibility and strength. This is an exercise that can be enjoyed by people of all fitness levels.
Overall, gym memberships are a good idea if you have the money to spare and the time to go regularly. However, they’re not something that everyone can afford. If you’re strapped for cash and don’t have time to go to the gym, don’t worry – there are plenty of ways you can stay fit without a gym membership.